More than 71% of the software development projects are reported to have failed due to improper planning, faulty test cases, error-prone programming logic, or incompetence of the developers. Here are some time tested tips which can help you to deliver software development projects successfully.
- For a good software solution, it is important to keep into account the immediate user's needs and detailed specifications before venturing into real-time coding. One needs to adhere to the client needs to the letter.
- Risk strategies should be implemented right from the start and the rest of the software development cycle should follow later. Early completion of projects can be assured with this step.
- Development projects need to be broken into small modules for on-time delivery of projects and fantastic ROI.
- The software development company should never get short of technical resources since that might cause unnecessary breaks in the software application development process. Hire backup resources as required.
- Validation milestones are essential for breaking down projects in simpler terms. They can be spaced out in the gap of 3-4 weeks.
- The companies need to make use of user-friendly features which can help clients operate smoothly rather than making it more and more complex.
- Developers need to be accountable and committed to their work while being part of the software development lifecycle
- Functional testing tools are helpful while conducting stress testing tools. Use the industry standard tools to conduct free-flowing tests. Real-time testing will be advantageous for the client and beneficial for you too.
- The development services project should be cost-effective and efficiently managed. The requirements need to be addressed on a transparent basis.
- Designing is an integral part of the whole process. The user interface should be uncluttered too, since too much of information or heavy design robs the developed application from its user-friendliness.
- The planning phase should include stage-wise execution and work tasks should be assigned on a weekly basis rather than a daily basis. This would reduce the time involved in planning out and implementing the modules.
- One needs to plan and use diverse features, set appropriate timelines and milestones for every module. Any fault in the planning phase will affect the results of the project.
- Do not become prone to the “feature creep” state of affairs during implementation and testing.
- The best way to handle the client requirements is to under-promise, over-deliver and then plan something special when the project is over.
At times, things do not work according to the plan, maybe you promised much more than you could deliver. Make amends and incorporate the desired features at a faster time period and under the budget. That would help in maintaining good relations with the client and will bank on predictable results. Your developers will be happy too since they were able to make amends in spite of the mistakes done on a larger scale. Additionally, reward your developers occasionally to show how much they matter to you in the larger scheme of things. This is the best policy which would help you retain them when a software development project enters a critical phase.