IBM began tag-teaming with the PhoneGap founder and added 5 developers to the project. In 2011, RIM and Microsoft also became contributors to the project. Adobe took over the company and contributing to the growth presently.
PhoneGap founders believe that the web is a first class platform so it is important to create web apps for the platform. They also believe that the idea should be picked up by all browsers to adopt the model for standard working patterns.
The founding company feels that the web has the ability to reach various devices of diverse capabilities and also feel that all technology deprecates. With these beliefs in mind, we believe that adhering to a single platform or technology could have disastrous consequences. Some technologies manage to stay out decades. But change is certain and hence relevant modifications to present technologies are required from time to time.
Advantages of using PhoneGap web apps
PhoneGap is not a compiler or even an IDE or predefined framework. It's a project which is Apache, MIT and BSD-licensed and absolutely free. It has been contributed to Apache Software Foundation. Many mobile app development projects are based on PhoneGap. Here are some of the best-known advantages and disadvantages of PhoneGap web apps and its development.
Here are some PhoneGap Advantages:
- One can develop the app once and deploy it in multiple platforms thus saving time and money.
- It is easy to make use of many of the built-in features of a mobile device including location services, instant messaging and push notifications.
- The apps have a branding advantage since their icons are well represented.
- The interface of all PhoneGap apps is extremely clean. It does not need a browser frame too, around them.
- The apps can be distributed through app stores of multiple mobile platforms.
- PhoneGap offers support to seven different mobile platforms, including the most popular OS, iOS, and the followers: Android, BlackBerry, webOS, Symbian, Samsung Bada and Windows Phone.
- It’s open source and free hence there are constant enhancements and new modules being added continually.
PhoneGap web apps might not support all built-in phone features or might work uncertainly when new features are introduced. The apps might look the same in different phone environments and function more generically. But by using PhoneGap, one makes certain apps which have cross-platform run ability which actually manages to offer affordable mobile app development for multiple clients. It is important to keep experimenting and innovating since the future in store has much more things to offer.
Elan Emerging Technologies is the leading PhoneGap Development company providing PhoneGap Web Apps by expert and experienced PhoneGap Developer who creates apps for open source mobile frameworks.